Living Violet (Cambion Chronicles)

Living Violet (Cambion Chronicles) - Jaime Reed
Living Violet (The Cambion Chronicles #1)
by Jaime Reed (Goodreads Author)

He's persuasive, charming, and way too mysterious. And for Samara Marshall, her co-worker is everything she wants most--and everything she most fears. . .

Samara Marshall is determined to make the summer before her senior year the best ever. Her plan: enjoy downtime with friends and work to save up cash for her dream car. Summer romance is not on her to-do list, but uncovering the truth about her flirtatious co-worker, Caleb Baker, is. From the peculiar glow to his eyes to the unfortunate events that befall the girls who pine after him, Samara is the only one to sense danger behind his smile.

But Caleb's secrets are drawing Samara into a world where the laws of attraction are a means of survival. And as a sinister power closes in on those she loves, Samara must take a risk that will change her life forever. . .or consume it

This new series by Author Jaime Reed, will definitely have you turning the pages! I was intrigued from the beginning as this was my first IR (Interracial) YA. I was curious and wanted to see how all of this was going to unfold.
Samara (Sam) is your everyday teenager, she works at a book store she has a best friend and even though her parents are separated, she seems to function just like any other seventeen year old would.

There wasn’t anything unusual about her home life or her friends, it all mixed well with the daily goings on, complete with her best friend Mia and her boyfriend Doughie have outlandish fights.
The one thing that is off in her life is her fellow co-worker Caleb, he’s got these alarming violet eyes and every female seems to want him, but the ones he wants turn up suffering from either a freak stroke or some sort of heart attack.

I have to be honest, and say that although I finished this book in one sitting it had it’s issues for me, will I read the next book? Definitely, Reed is a colorful writer who paints an interesting canvas that kept me turning the pages. The plot of the story was interesting and different from any other YA paranormal that’s out there, if for no other reason you want to read this book for that.

There are no fallen angels, or sparkly vampires that want to drink your blood. Not even a boyfriend who’s the living dead, the characters that Reed develops are clever and quirky. There were some moments when I laughed out loud and actually snorted!

It was hard for me at first to get into Caleb, from Sam’s perspective he’s not even the least bit attractive, he’s grungy and doesn’t seem to shave much, and seemed to have an over indulgence for sweets. (There is a reason he craves sweets!) That was a complete turn off for me. But as I was reading I think that’s where Reed was trying to pull the reader, because the moment Samara get’s interested in him was the moment I was able to get into him. Caleb became this mysterious enigma that I just had to figure out, and the fact that he wasn’t a sparkly vampire, or werewolf, or fallen angel intrigued me more.

There are secrets that had to be discovered and when Samara finds out just what a Cambion is and why Caleb needs her help, the relationship blossoms from there. The friends and relationships that were put into place for Samara and Caleb along the journey made the circumstances of their situation that much more believable.

Caleb shares his body with a host, which they refer to as Capone, which I thought was weird but funny, Capone wants to literally suck the life out of those he meets and Caleb who hasn’t been paying much attention to the spirit who lives inside him, tries to placate Capone with sweets, and other items, but when he gets out of control then the woman start coming up with issues. This was a change of course for me refreshing and I enjoyed how Samara was trying to find ways to please both Caleb and Capone in order for them to live in harmony.

The story was well written, and I encourage you to pick up this book and read it, give it the chance it deserves and you will see what pulled me in. There were a couple of contradiction's in the book that I could easily overlook, but I understood where Reed was coming from to a point. Samara is a bi-racial character and her father is black and her mother was white, and Samara for all intense purposes wasn’t stuck in the middle or even bordering on the edge. But in the book there is a point where you get to see a slight weakness in her that contradicts the strong willed person you know her to be. Maybe she had a moment of weakness, or maybe it was just there for substance, to try and kind of get a message out there.

I didn’t get it.

I could see where the issue could have come up as a problem, but not once did Caleb and Samara have to deal with the issue of race, when they became involved in the relationship, and I liked that. I did enjoy when she said her step-mother Rhonda had “Naptastic” hair, that made me laugh, and I could see where that would come from, but over all Samara didn’t have to straddle the lines of both her races, she seemed to fit right in where she belonged with her friends and family.