Good Girls Don't

Good Girls Don't - Victoria Dahl
With her long ponytail and sparkling green eyes, Tessa Donovan looks more like the girl next door than a businesswoman – or a heartbreaker. Which may explain why Detective Luke Asher barely notices her when he arrives to investigate a break-in at her family’s brewery. He’s got his own problems – starting with the fact that his partner Simone is pregnant and everyone thinks he's the father. The last thing he needs is a nice girl like Tessa getting under his skin.
Tessa has her hands full, too. Her brother’s playboy ways may be threatening the business, and the tensions could tear her tight-knit family apart. In fact, the only thing that could unite the Donovan boys is seeing a man come after their “baby” sister. Especially a man like Luke Asher. But Tessa sees past the rumors to the man beneath
HQN Books Release Date Aug 30th 384 Pages (Series Donovan Brewery #1)
Victoria Dahl

I was on a total contemporary romance kick. This book started off really good for me, but then as the story progressed it kind of lost some of its momentum for me. I did finish this book in two days. But there were times when I put the book down and had to come back to it later.

The story opens up with Tessa at the brewery due to a break in. A break in that she at first thinks is caused because of her brother forgetting to lock up. What I did like about this story was that there was a bit of a mystery to solve as the romance happened between Tess and Luke.

There was some tension between Tess and Luke and at first I enjoyed it, but then Luke begins to go back and forth between his sort of kind of friendship with Tess’s brother and then Tess herself. Tess is seen as a good girl to Luke, and he doesn’t want to ruin her, nor does he want a permanent relationship.

Obviously Tess isn’t as good as everyone thinks she is, which also include her two brothers. They both try and keep Tess and Luke apart but it doesn’t happen. There is even a scene when one of her brother’s come over while Luke is there. I totally wanted the brother and Luke to kind of go at each other, but that didn’t happen. Tess took the stance and basically told her brother he can shove it.

There was a lesson to the story. Tess hides the truth from her older brother Eric, she doesn’t want him to know that Jaime slept with the daughter of the man he was trying to strike of a deal with in order to expand the family business. She was basically running around most of the story with this huge guilt on her shoulders, while trying to fix the disaster that her brother Jaime caused. Luke on the other hand has to deal with rumors of him getting his partner knocked up and trying to juggle that and a relationship with Tess can be very hard.

I did like Luke’s character for the most part he wasn’t alpha he was more of a beta. He cared for his partner that was pregnant and constantly tried to help her. She wouldn’t tell him who the babies father was and so when the town started to think it was him, he never actually denied or said yes to the fact. Of course there was also the rumor how Luke left his dying wife basically to die.

There were some interesting twists to the story. The plot was well thought out as well, I don’t know if I chose the wrong time to read the book, because I am a mood reader, but I gave the book a three on goodreads. Trust me it wasn’t bad at all, there were some parts that made me actually laugh out loud. It just wasn't the book for me at the time.

Oooh almost forgot to mention the most important part! SMEX SCENE! There were some hot ones and some vanilla ones, but they got the job done and it was loverly!